This morning nature gave me a little gift. I poured myself a second cup of coffee and went out onto my patio, as I usually do each morning. There was a flurry of activity on my yard and I noticed approximately a dozen and a half robins foraging about in the grass. We all know that robins are the harbinger of Spring, and after the snow of last week, this was a delightful sight.
Suddenly, over the tops of the trees, came another robin. And then another. And then anotherandanotherandanotherandanother, on and on and on until my yard was a veritable sea of robins, plump and happy, gladly sharing their banquet of worms and bugs and whatnot that they enjoy eating, with each other.
What a wonderful thing for me to witness. I wished I had my camera with me because the sheer number of them was astounding. But I knew if I got up to get my camera, they would probably forget their feast and fly into a neighbor's yard. So you will just have to take my word for it, that it was an amazing 'gift' to me.
It also brought to mind an Easter Sunday, long ago, when I went out on a back deck and watched as dozens of little, bright yellow birds flew on to a small tree in front of me, as if decorating its branches in celebration of the holiest of holy days.
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
'Suddenly, over the tops of the trees, came another robin. And then another. And then anotherandanotherandanotherandanother, on and on and on until my yard was a veritable sea of robins'
ReplyDeleteI really really really hate to burst your bubble babe but, they're remaking Hitchcocks 'The Birds' right around the corner from you....;-)
It must have been a wonderful sight.
Pity you didn't have a camera to hand. I'd love to see that. Still. I can see it in my minds eye - not that I've got much of a mind...;-)
Oh my, Four, it was amazing! I have never een that many robins together before! I wish I had my camera too,
ReplyDelete(I thought of hitchcocks 'The Birds' while I was watchign them lol
Aren't Robins meant to be territorial? Really unusual to see more than one, I had two in my garden back home and I thought I was spoilt! But the are special birds I think, they bring real cheer to a snowly winter's day.
ReplyDeleteAnd sure enough, Sundays forecast says we are to have a gorgeous day!
ReplyDeleteSheila i am not giving up on being able to post on your site. One of these days, i will appear!! xoxo
Robins are red??? I am horrible with birds. but glad you saw the yard full of them... Hope all is well. I have been out and out again. I mean to visit as often I can but I get caught up in my Etsy site... I get caught up trying to make sales...
ReplyDeletetweetey, they have red breasts. And i have never seen so many at one time before. It was amazing.
ReplyDeleteHope your etsy site is going well!
I've never seen that many here at one time. I like to watch them but they are actually mean little bastards at times, I've watched them fight each other for the most stupid reasons, like, "You're in the spot I want to be in."
ReplyDeleteThey sure will beat the shit out of each other then.
Sounds amazing. Sheesh you must have a lot of bugs they found to be able to share the bounty. Relally must have looked amazing.
ReplyDelete