Monday, September 28, 2009

Lizards and Other Reptiles.

I have not shown any recent photos of my lizards, which are, afterall, the inspiration for the title of this blog. But first, I want to share this remarkable thing we saw in a neighbor's yard:



This is a six to seven foot long snake skin. I can tell it's freshly shed because it has no holes and it hasn't collapsed yet. I was all over the place trying to find the snake. I can't tell you how badly I wanted to see him!

Now, to the lizards..these are bearded dragons from Australia. They are well over a foot long, one female and one male. They have bred three times but each 'clutch,' which is what a group of lizard eggs is called, was infertile.

The female has a slight underbite and is in the process of shedding, so her scales are two different colors. I'm hoping that showed up on the photo.

These were about an inch long when we got them.





2 comments:

  1. How old are they? I love the expression on the one on the right 0 a sort of I'm just keeping any eye on you, looking down its nose sort of smile for the camera ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they're about eight years old now, Sheila. They are looking to see if I am going to feed them. They eat mostly large crickets but sometimes worms and salads. They can see in color so if one of them decides to go on a hunger strike I can usually coax it to eat by making a really colorful salad and moving it back and forth in front of him/her.

    The things I do. Incredible, huh?

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you can do it! Just whistle if you want me. You know how to whistle, don't you? You just put your lips together and BLOW....

eXTReMe Tracker