Friday, January 1, 2010

Princess on the Glass Hill

Here it is, 5:30am on New Year's day. I awoke early, thinking of the oddest thing. It's amazing, the things that are in our minds when we first awaken, isn't it? Who knows where these first thoughts come from? Perhaps a dream.

Anyway, I awoke thinking of something my mother used to call me, ever since I was a little thing, and my father and siblings picked up on. They would call me 'The princess on the glass hill.'

I grew up with this. I had no idea what it meant but I knew from my mother's tone of voice that it was not a good thing. and why I'm thinking of this the first thing in the morning, the very early morning no less? So I jumped on google and looked it up.

First of all, here is a picture of said princess:



How lonely she looks! I am not lonely. In fact, I love my rare solitary time and wish I had more of it. Okay, momma, strike one. This is obviously not me.

Then I remember what she would tell me;

"You sit on top of a glass hill and wait for others to climb it. People are only going to try to reach you for only so long. Sometimes you need to meet them half way."

Huh? I do not! I do not even know what that means.

Am I 'unreachable?' Am I unattainable as a friend? I don't think so. Not a all. I am quick to warm up to folks. I am outgoing and friendly.

Or am I? Is my subconscious trying to tell me I need to change, that I need to become more approachable? Is this what my new years resolution should be?

Heck, I'm not even sure of what this princess' story is about, so I googled that, too.

Click HERE to read the story.

Okay, now wait a minute. THE KING PUT HIS DAUGHTER THERE!! Aha! If I am the princess on a glass hill, it is not my fault!

And now that I have THAT settled, I am going to have another cup of coffee. And then I'm going to go eat all the apples in my house before they can roll down my glass hill.

1 comment:

  1. Waking is a good time for self reflection. You are so brave to share tis with us all...and I'm glad you did.

    I don't know the story. My first response was a glass hill...that could break! The princess might hurt herself if it's a tall hill. good thing it's not a glass mountain. The glass hill also indicates that the princess wants to look at the world. Maybe as a careful observer.

    Fathers are responsible forputtig their children ona pedastal. Most certainly. Maybe a large bird carried her up there because it must be slippery.

    Remember the movie some of us discussed called "The Philadelpia Story". I believe you might want to watch it...it might give some insight to this odd metaphor for you. It's on YouTube.

    I think there isn't a "good or bad" moral to this metaphor...like all fairytales it is a growing and learning parable and NOT static. Don't be too hard on yourself...but also look.

    check out my quote on Face book...

    "There is no intensity of love or feeling that does not involve the risk of crippling hurt. It is a duty to take this risk, to love and feel without defense or reserve." William Burroughs

    This risk goes for looking at ourselves and risking loving ourselves too...

    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you can do it! Just whistle if you want me. You know how to whistle, don't you? You just put your lips together and BLOW....

eXTReMe Tracker