Sunday, October 18, 2009

Ich Liebe Dich.

Somebody I love very much is moving far away. I have cried buckets over this. I can't help it.She is my friend and she has been a delight in my life. I'm not going to mention her name because she's a private person and I didn't ask her if I could do that. But I don't think that's important, anyway. She is from Germany, and has been here for less than five years, so she is an old hat at leaving folks.

She is a military wife. Her husband just earned his pilot's license at nearby Fort Rucker, and so, as we all knew would happen, he's been transferred out of state. I can barely handle my friend's leaving but what really hurts is that they are, of course, taking their 14 month old baby girl. This is just ripping me up. Yesterday, I gave her a little going away lunch party and said goodbye.

I was one of the first people to know my friend was pregnant. Nobody told me; I just knew. I looked at her one day and I said, "You are pregnant." I have always had a knack for doing this. I'm not exactly sure how I know. It might be an almost imperceptible turn of the ankle. or a very very slight change of coloring. Twice I've even predicted twins and been right on about it. My mother could do this too so I guess I inherited the ability.

Anyway, I love to play with my friend's baby. She isn't a huggy-kissy baby, She's more a rough and tumble kid. And I cannot tell you how much I love to get on the floor and chase her around. She has a deep deep laugh that just spews from her core when I do this. Shes a very neat kid.

When I said good bye to her yesterday, I wanted a baby hug. She doesn't like to hug anyone, outside of mommy and daddy. So she turned the other way when I reached for her. Oh, how heavy hearted I became So I told her, "But I bought you those big puzzles!"

This 14 month old baby tuned toward me, puckered up and leaned forward for a kiss. I'll never know if she did that because she understood about the puzzles and I had sent her on guilt trip, but I don't think so. I want to believe she did that because she loves me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, you can do it! Just whistle if you want me. You know how to whistle, don't you? You just put your lips together and BLOW....

eXTReMe Tracker